Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Talking Points #7

"ANITA HILL IS A BOY"
TALES FROM A
GENDER-FAIR CLASSROOM
By: Peggy Orenstein
In this piece, Peggy Orenstein argues that she does not want gender byism in the classroom. She wants to bring more females into a "male-dominated" curriculum.
1.) "Women are one-half of the world's people; they do two-thirds of the world's work; they earn one-tenth of the world's income; they own one one-hundredth of the world's property."
This quote states that even though the women make up half of us and do most of the work, that they are not respected enough to earn as much as males in this society.
2.) This is a classroom that's gone through the gender looking glass. It is the mirror opposite
of most classrooms that girls will enter, which are adorned with masculine role models; with male heroes, with books by and about men-- classrooms in which the female self is, at best, an afterthought.
This quote tells us that in history, we learn about heroes in history, but they are all about males. We do have our female heroes, but they are all mentioned and then moved on. We need to spend more time.
3.) "I don't see what the big deal is about women," he says, and I prepare to
hear him say that he's tired of Ms. Logan's unfair focus on the female sex.
But I've judged Jeremy too quickly. "I mean, as long as they're interesting,
what's the difference if they're women? Women are people, too, you know?"
This quote came at the end of the year when one of the kids confronted Ms. Logan about the project. Now after all the work with women, you would think that he was complaining, but it was the exact opposite.
Well I don't think that this is out of the question that this was a litlle heavy on the women side. I remember learning about plenty of women in history. Women have alot more to do with recent history, than past history, and this is because women are alot more involved now. I did think it was easier to read, and it did point out the fact that we need to give women more respect.
I think that this relates to christenson in the fact that Ms. Logan is fighting back but in a respectful and correct manner. Not necessarily exactly what christenson is getting at, but I think it is the closest author.
Do you guys really think that we have such a male dominated curriculum in schools?

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Brandon's
    well i do think we have a male dominated curriculum i schools. But i like that you secognize women need to be more respected and valued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, I didn't really notice that schools had a male dominated curriculum until I started to think about it after reading this article. Now that I've thought about it I can see how much of the curriculum is male dominated.But I do remember that when I was little I didn't think that I could be president. when a little boy said "I'm going to be president one day" I thought that maybe that could happen, but I never thought I could be president because I was a girl.

    I do think that to an extent it can't be helped, because some of the most important people in history were men. Nothing can change that. I do like the idea of trying to teach more things on important women though because it tells other woman that they could be in a history book one day if they really wanted to be.

    ReplyDelete