Thursday, February 26, 2009

Talking Points #4

"Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us"
By: Linda Christensen
Christenson argues that we have to live our lives how we want to live them and not how society wants us to live them. Society tries to tell us what is acceptable and what isn't, but that is not how it goes.
1.) "Our students suckle the same pap. Our society's culture industry colonizes their minds and teaches them how to act, live, and dream."
Christensen means to say that children are getting taught the one way that society has accepted as the right way. In this situation there is no "right" way. If you think about it, America was built off of people breaking away from their "norms" in Europe.
2.) "After viewing a number of cartoons, Kenya scolded parents in an essay, 'A Black Cinderella, give me a break." black person, an Asian, a Hispanic in a cartoon! Did they have a lead role or were they a servant? What do you think this is doing to your child's mind?" She ended her piece: "Women who aren't white begin to feel left OUt and ugly because they never get to play the princess." Kenya's piece brlsrlcd with anger at a society that rarely acknowledges the wit or beauty ofwomen of her race. And she wasn't alone in her feelings. Sabrina wrote."I'm not taking my kids to see any Walt Disney movies until they have a black woman playing the leading role."
Now, think about this for a minute. We have Pocahontas, a Native American Princess; and Aladdin, who has an Indian Princess; if you wanna throw in some more diversity, we have the little mermaid, who is not like any of us, and Snow White and Cinderella who were deprived, and worked hard. I think that we have alot of diversity here. There is no argument here. Walt Disney did not play any favorites, he probably just did not get around to a Black Princess yet.
3.) "For some the lesson doesn't end in the classroom. Many who watched cartoons before we start our study snv they call no longer enjoy them. Nnw instead or seeing ~ bunch or ducks in clothes, they see the racism, sexism, and violence rhat swim under the surface or the stories."
I think that because issues like racism, sexism, and sexual orientation are such big issues in our society today, people tend to look for it in everything. I mean come on, do you really think that author's of children's cartoons are trying to hide secret messages in their cartoons. I think that we are becoming too sensitive.
This was again, not too bad of a read. It dealt alot with the race issues as well. I think it was a good idea of where our society sees these topics. We do not like anything different, but if someone offends our differences, we get defensive about it. We cannot live like this. We need to have equal respect for each others backgrounds, cultures, and situations.
As a white, straight, male people might think that I do not have the right to say anything, but I have my small issues. I have been joked around about being short for my entire life, until the point where I just said, you know what, it's not going to bother me anymore. There are still times when I feel like lashing out, but then I ask myself if it's going to help. I am short, there is nothing I can do about it. People will always find someway to bring you down, and you just haveto find a reason to keep plugging along.

1 comment:

  1. I can see that you didn't buy Christensen's major claims here, huh? I wonder if our work in class changed your mind at all. And as for being a straight, white, male... that does not ever mean that you don't have the right to speak on diversity issues. It means you have to be thoughtful of your privileges, but it DOESN'T mean that you have to be silent. :)

    ReplyDelete